Saturday, October 18, 2008

Let's Learn German Together - Introduction


Yet another course in German?
How is this different from so many online courses and podcasts?

For one, it is free.
Second, I am still learning. So the idea is to learn together. Which might be more effective, one never knows.
And third, at the end of each lesson I will give exercises and you can do the exercises and respond in the comment of each post.

I will post a lesson at least once a week. The easiest way to track the lessons would be to subscribe (free :-)) to my posts.

I have already two posts in my blog. You may want to refer those too:
1) Free Resources For Learning German
2) Why Indians Can Learn German Easily

Let's make a small beginning ...

You have been corresponding with this German girl for over a year. She writes and speaks excellent English and of course German. You are on your way to meet her for the first time. You are flying to Frankfurt. You land and there she is waiting for you ...

You: "Hello!"
She: "Hallo!"

You: "Wie geht es Ihnen? How are you?" (Pronounced: v gate s ehnen)
She: "You can call me dear"


What ??? You are puzzled. What does she mean, you can call me "dear". Actually what she is telling you to do is use the more familiar form of 'you' - "du"

Ok ... rewind


You: "Wie geht es dir?" (V gate s dear)
She: "Gut! Danke. Und dir? Fine Thank you. And you?" (goot! Daanka. oont dear)


There! That was not difficult. Was it?

'Ihnen' and 'dir' are forms of 'you' or to be more specific 'to you'.
'Wie' is 'how'.
'geht' is a verb form of 'gehen' meaning 'to go'.
'es' means 'it'

So, what you asked was actually 'How goes it to you?' or 'How is it going?'

The easy way to understand this is to say it in Hindi: "Kaisa chal raha hai?"
'Chal' in Hindi is 'to go'.

(I am sorry - I am not very familiar with other Indian language as much as I am with Hindi. If someone can help with another languages, I will be obliged.)

Exercises:

Q1. Did you notice the subtle difference between your 'hello' and her 'hallo'?
Q2. Can you find German words in the above conversation that resembles words in English?

Note: The photograph I wish to use for this series belongs to Eduardo Gibba. To see more of his photographs visit his gallery.

To see all the german lessons on one page click here => Check out my lens

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gut is very near to Good.
Danke and Thank you are also similar.

My Library