Friday, October 17, 2008

Who Moved Their Cheese?

who moved my cheese
One of the most enjoyable management parables I have read till date happens to be 'Who Moved My Cheese by Dr. Spenser Johnson. I find it better than all others I have read, including The One Minute Manager, Our Iceberg Is Melting, and even better than the delightful oldie 'High Five! The Magic of Working Together,. The characters are so believable. It is a story of 2 'small' people, Hem and Haw and two mice, Scurry and Sniff. And how they react to a life altering change. The change comes abruptly but the signs were there for all to see.

The four lessons that comes out of the book are:

Anticipate change
Adapt to change quickly
Enjoy change
Be ready to change quickly, again and again

This is a best seller and I bet, one out of every two corporate manager must have read this. It sold a few million copies. The lesson does not seem to have sunk in though.

To make my point let me take only the first two lesson and one fact.

The sub-prime crisis began more than a year ago. So, Lehman and AIG and the US government had one year to react. Do you see them anticipating change and adapting to the change quickly? And were the other countries, UK, Germany, India waiting for the problem to reach their shores before pressing the panic button?
Point made.

It takes about 15 minutes to read this book. I would recommend this to all the politicians/managers to read in TODAY - before they go about their daily work.

Note: The picture used belongs to 'Sardinelly'. Please visit the gallery to see more of such photographs.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Amitabh.

I brought that book and read it. Excellent book. Simple story where you can relate yourself to one of the character.

Thanks once again. Let me know if you any other books to suggest.

Thanks

Ashwin

My Library