Friday, October 31, 2008

Paul Kruger and Jagdish Bhagwati

When one great talks/writes about another, one should peel his ears/eyes and listen/read.
I came across this ...
"How his MIT teacher, Jagdish Bhagwati, overruled uncomprehending referees’ reports and published Krugman’s paper in the Journal of International Economics in 1979, even though it meant his own work would be eclipsed by that of his former student." in a column of Economic Principals (yeah! the spelling is correct).

I was naturally curious for not very often one comes across large hearted human beings. I had of course heard about Jagdish Bhagwati when I first joined AK Aerotek. My senior colleague Mr. M.V. Kannan was his student in the Delhi School of Economics. And when Amartya Sen received the Nobel Prize for Economics, Mr. Kannan had told me that Bhagwati also deserves one.

In any case, I googled and found this. This is a speech by Paul Kruger in honour of Jagdish Bhagwati.

Peel your eye-lids and read every word of it. It tells you volumes about not only Jagdish Bhagwati but also about Paul Kruger.

Those who are interested in Prof. Jagdish Bhagwati, may want to look up here.

Another interesting article by Paul Kruger is referred in one of my presvious entries, here.

I am pleased this happens to be my 100th entry for this blog.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

My Library