Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Improve Your Space IQ

The year was 1993.
This was my first assignment abroad.
Shortly after my colleague and I reached England, we were joined by - I could not believe my luck - Rakesh Sharma ... Yes! The first Indian in Space!
We were thrilled to bits.
He was very kind towards us.
Our hosts had organized an evening with Rakesh Sharma, to be followed by a Cocktail and Drinks kind of party. For some reason, the two of us were not invited. We were not keen on the cocktail stuff, but we wanted to listen Rakesh Sharma speak.
I remember my then boss turning to us and say, "I don't think you need to come."
Rakesh Sharma turned and said, "Of course they should come. I am sure they want to come."
His talk on his experience in space was the finest I have heard ever. Not because of the content. But because the way he presented.
Anyways, one afternoon Rakesh Sharma, my colleague and I were returning from lunch. As we were walking towards our makeshift porta-cabins, I asked him if I could ask him a question. The question I asked was, "How do people in space do toilet?" He laughed and said something about suction, etc. I do not clearly remember the answer. But if you need to know how Space Toilets work, check out Top 10 Moments in Space Bathroom History and extend your space IQ.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

My Library