Saturday, September 20, 2008

If I had to read only one book on management

If I were constrained to read one, and only one, book on management then I would unhesitatingly pick up - no, not The Goal! not even near - Managing For Results by Peter Drucker.

Managing For Results is needle sharp focused. Each sentence can launch a 100 books on management. One you have read Managing For Results every other management book reads like a corollary to the thesis presented by Drucker.

Just to give you the flavour of this book, I have reproduced a few gems that are present in the first chapter itself:
1) Neither results nor resources exist inside the business. Both exist outside.
2) Results are obtained by exploiting opportunities, not by solving problems (because of this sentence alone I have eliminated the word "problem" from my vocabulary)
3) Economic results are earned only by leadership, not by mere competence.

And all that in 1964.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

My Library