Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Are you still carrying her?

beast of burden
Today I will tell you a lovely Zen story. An old friend of mine, Ashish Balaya, narrated this to me long ago. I forget the context - must be something I told him or commented upon - but the story stayed with me. And it has remained a guiding factor in my life ever since.

A zen master and his disciple had to cross a shallow rivulet. They saw a b-e-a-t-i-f-u-l young lady standing by the shore wanting to go to the other side but not doing so for the fear of spoiling her dress. The zen master picks her up and crosses the river. The disciple is horrified. The master touched a woman! Though he suppressed his desire to ask the master his mind was in turmoil. However, after about two he could not contain himself. He begged for the master's permission to speak freely and asked him why he had carried a young lady when the master had taken a vow of celibacy. The master looked at him, smiled and responded, "Are you still carrying the young lady?" and continued on his journey.


Now you know why I go to sleep the moment my head hits the pillow!

Picture courtesy: Nara Vieira da Silva Osga

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow this shud b a lesson for the moral policemen hounding india. while the young men and women cud have easily gone their way after the small partying on valentine, they were discussing it much before and after valentine. so who is more immoral

My Library