Friday, August 14, 2009

Movie Review: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Either JK Rowling is not consulted or she is losing interest in the Harry Potter movies. I was pretty much shocked after seeing the movie, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince.

The movie focuses more on special effects - the destruction of the millennium bridge, Harry and Dumbledore on the cliff surrounded by roaring ocean, the burrow bursting into flames (not in the book, mind you), the ring of fire shooting out from Dumbledore's wand - but that's just about it.

Missing in action is the palpable fear that Voldemort and Death Eaters unleash;
the growth pangs of Harry, Ron and Hermione, as they discover adolescence; the frustration and fear that Draco Malfoy experiences as he struggles to carry out Voldemort's orders; the passionate kiss that Harry and Ginny share when their team wins the Quidditch championship (instead there is a tepid kiss in the Room Of Requirements).

I think the director has no idea what a Harry Potter fan looks for in a movie. We do not want to see a different story. All we want to see is how well has the mental picture that we draw as we read the book been captured in the movie. Harry Potter is not just about special effects, is it?

The movie, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, is a shame.

The only silver lining ... it made me read the book again; just to flush out the effect of the movie from my system.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

Unknown said...

But the movie got 3.5 to 4 stars in most of the reviews!!! Guess the movie is for people who did not read the book !!! and was reviewed by the same category of people...

Ava said...

Well, I havent read the books, so I liked the movie. Yeh, I was straining my eyes out for that famed kiss too.. lekin ..

I am planning to keep away from the books till I am done with the movies. THEN I will buy the entire set and read and gorge and read..

ARJuna said...

I agree with you completely sir!!!

Indian Pundit said...

Good to see a movie review here buddy.

Well done.

Cheers.

My Library